Monday, June 24, 2013

Made It To California

My First Area and Companion

Hello and welcome to San Luis Obispo, CA. This is my first area!  Luckily I’m not training with another new sister. My first companion is Sister Stoker! She is from Burley, ID and is actually one of my teachers from the MTC's sister! She is amazing. She has taught me so much this week so far.

So we flew to Santa Barbara and then drove on a bus to Ventura. There the traveling sisters (head trainers...?) told us some about the area, rules, and what to expect. That day was kind of a blur. But I was put with Sister Dixon for the night and we stayed at a member’s house! They were so nice. We met the Castro family and they are so amazing. President and Sister Castro are so nice and loving. They knew almost all of us by name before we arrived. The next day went to TRANFER MEETING!! Ahhhh. President Castro spoke and the Elders who were leaving the mission shared their testimonies then we were assigned to our new companions and areas.

 As you know, I am serving with Sister Stoker in the San Luis Obispo 1st Ward. After I met Sister Stoker, we rode with a member family up to SLO. It was a long and beautiful drive up the coast. We live in an apartment.

Missionary Work

This past week we have been meeting with investigators that Sister Stoker has had for a while and we have been knocking on doors!! It's kind of hard to talk to people like that, but I am learning and trying to apply what I learn every day. I just can't be shy! It's been hard finding new people to teach, and we have only taught 2 or 3 sit down lessons this week. But man have I met some interesting people.

 There was one guy who was riding his bike and saw us walking and yelled, "HEY! Are you the Mormons?!" and we were like yes we are! And he said, "I want to know more about your church." We were just like whhaaat?! Easiest street contacting ever.  Turns out his baby’s mama is Mormon, and he wanted to know more. He doesn't live in SLO but we gave him a card.

Sister Stoker has been teaching a woman named Lee for a couple months now and she AMAZING. She is set to be baptized on July 13th. She is 55 and used to be a chef. Her husband died a few years ago and she is amazing. I can't wait to see how she progresses.

Dinner

Yesterday I had a green dinner. One of the families in the ward had Sister Stoker and me over for dinner and because I'm a new missionary they made it green! Lots of green food. They said if they had more time they would have dyed the mashed potatoes green, and our drinks green. By the way, we eat dinner with members almost every night! I have tried lots of foods I didn't think I liked!

Message of Love

So how about that broadcast yesterday? Pretty amazing right! They really want members to be helping the missionaries with the work. One thing that I really took from the broadcast was that love needs to be the driving force behind everything we do. We need to love the gospel, love the people, and love what we are doing. Without love there is no motivation! I will write home and send some things! I love you guys so much! I am learning so much and loving the work and people out here!

BY THE WAY, if you want to send me a letter/package, send it to the mission office! Everything gets mailed there and then they forward it to us! That’s how it works.

Sister Erin V. Cusick
3301 West Gonzales Road
Oxnard, CA 93036.

 I love you! :) TELL TARA HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR ME

-Sister Cusick


No comments:

Post a Comment